Studying Information Architecture
The idea of this website is to get a grip of the field of Information Architecture. In my mind its a very large field and its difficult to focus on a specific area. In my view it contains all the elements from creating wireframes and identifying requirements to highly technical implementation using various web technologies.
I know this view isn't common within the industry - however I like to think of an Information Architect as a person who can guide you throgh the ever changing landscape of the internet.
What is Information Architecture?
According to Morville, Peter & Rosenfeld, Louis Information Architecture for the World Wide Web (2006) 3rd edition, its this:
- The structural design of shared information environments.
- The combination of organization, labeling, search and navigation systems within web sites and intranets.
- The art and science of shaping information products and experience to support usability and findability.
- An emerging discipline and community of practice focused on bringing principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape.
Explaining IA to others
- "I'm an Information Architect. I organize huge amounts of information on big web sites and intranets so that people can actually find what they're looking for. Think of me as an Internet librarian."
- "I'm an Information Architect. I help my company by making it easy for customers to find our products on our web site. I'm kind of an online merchandiser. I apply one-to-one marketing concepts on the Internet."
- "I'm an Information Architect. I'm the one who takes on that information overload problem that everyone's been complaining about lately"